Friday, August 22, 2014

Recently

It's those lazy last days of summer where it's too hot to do much outside, too late to squeeze in one last holiday, but still too early to start seriously stressing about uni.



I've been running around from errand to errand but haven't done much of anything major. Nonetheless, here's a few bits and bobs of what I've been up to lately.

I made a cheeky trip to Brentwood on an (unusually) rainy Sunday. The main draw of Brentwood, of course, is Brentwood Country Mart.

image

The Country Mart is a rather posh-in-an-understated-quirky-kind-of-way open air shopping centre (with curated shops in that vein - e.g. Space NK, James Perse, and Intermix), all disguised in a quaint lick of barn red paint.

But we all know it's really all about the food for me, and the Country Mart is host to several establishments that make my belly go a-flutter, including Farm Shop, which is becoming a fast favourite among my friends and family.

image

I'll let you go read the description on their website if you're really interested, but the basic gist of Farm Shop is gourmet, healthy-ish Californian cuisine. Most everything is locally sourced from farms in the area and dishes focus on the flavours of quality ingredients, making even the most simple of items (like the omelet I had this time) spot on delicious.

In my opinion it doesn't matter how fancy or complex a dish is if the ingredients aren't up to snuff - I'd much rather take a simple, tasty omelette over a $200 dish drowning in a swath of overdone, competing flavours and sub-par ingredients.

image

Speaking of my omelette… it was the perfect texture, not overcooked (a frequent complaint of mine), and tasted as an omelette should - light and airy. Paired with some beautiful cherry tomatoes and a buttery, flakey croissant, I was a happy happy girl.

image

The weekend brunches are worth a try, but the place tends to be swarming with beautiful Italian-speaking people on weekends. If you're thinking about giving it a visit but are partial to a more serene atmosphere, try a weekday evening. My mother and I have enjoyed a lovely dinner here on a calm Monday night.

Or you could make some new friends at the community table (which is first come, first serve). No matter the time or day, the service is stellar.

Aaaand Farm Shop also functions as a small gourmet wine and food shop (think crackers, oils, cheese, and cured meats).

image

After brunch we popped in and out of shops, ducking under awnings to avoid the odd rain drop (lol Californian "rain"). Thumbed through books in Diesel Bookstore for a while. A perfect rainy day activity, if you ask me.

image

After we had sufficiently worked off our full bellies less than an hour later, it was time for ice cream.

Sweet Rose Creamery has captured my heart. The "artisan" ice cream tastes homemade and the flavour choices are brilliant (think sweet corn and earl grey).

I plumped for mint chip this time 'round, after having stolen a taste from Mum's last time. It's no ordinary mint chip though - no toothpaste taste - instead it tastes of fresh mint leaves.

image

Fast forward a few days. I put these Valentino babies on and headed out the door to The OC Mix in Costa Mesa.

image

Grabbed a cup of tea, settled into a comfy armchair in a sunny corner, and got stuck into my work.

image

Alas not without some wifi struggles. Grr.

DSCN3690.jpg

image

DSCN3692.jpg

image

Tired of battling with less than ideal wifi speed, S and I packed up and strolled around.

image

The OC Mix is a new-fangled amalgam of shops, restaurants, and businesses… it feels like more of a place to hang out than a destination for serious eating or shopping.

There's a collection of cool home ware stores. This shop was proudly showcasing the most cheerfully refurbished old piano in the front.

image

I just want a loft with big ol' windows where I can have things like cool painted pianos.

image

image

A nice slow August to look back on as the thought of my third year of uni looms in the near distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment