Thursday, April 10, 2014

Long Island Fever

Long Island often seems like a grumbling giant whose eyelids are heavy with dense fog. What to do when cabin fever sets in? I've already talked about a countryside escapade on the island. Here are a few of my other favourite pick-me-ups when I'm too lazy to muck with city craziness.

For coffee, cake, and a cool atmosphere, The Witches Brew in West Hempstead is a winner. Located in an old house in a residential neighborhood, Witches Brew is a favourite of locals and university students, offering an impressive array of hot drinks, desserts, and comfort food. Seats are antique sofas that you can snuggle into, and the décor has a slightly creepy, Halloween-ish vibe without being too garish. The fireplace and fairy lights add to the relaxing atmosphere. I went on a sleepy afternoon, but I’ve heard it’s a great spot to meet up for a late-night chat or study sesh.

image

Lounging with a cappuccino, complete with cinnamon stick.

image

I've grown up riding horses, so hopping in the saddle always lifts my mood. Long Island, home to the Hampton Classic, is host to a vast array of equestrian sporting options including polo, cross country, fox hunts, eventing, dressage, and fences. There are some beautiful open spaces for cantering around.

image

image

image

If a quick coffee or romp in the country isn't enough to rid the NYC blues, one of my favourite options on Long Island is JFK. Yes, the airport. My blog, my rules, right? Book a week somewhere warm, and hit up Shake Shack in the brand spankin' new international Delta terminal (aka my new home) on the way out. A good burger + sunny holiday = bliss.

image

Shake Shack

No comments:

Post a Comment