Tuesday, April 22, 2014

NYC Notes - A week in the city

I've been a naughty blogger - doing bloggable things but slacking off on actually blogging about them.

image

Last week I barely had any school and therefore spent a large part of the week and weekend popping all over the island of Manhattan.

Over the weekend I was so lucky to see some of my uni friends perform on Broadway with their dance company. The show was called Black Hole, White Rabbit (a modern interpretation of Alice and Wonderland). I thoroughly enjoyed it, and of course it was brilliant to see my friends show off their talent on a Broadway stage!

image

Here are some of the dancers releasing balloons that were used in a (very cool) dance into the city sky… (the environmentally-conscious Californian in me was cringing, but it was a cute moment nonetheless).

image

image

Earlier that day I had brunch in the Meatpacking District and wandered around the High Line. The weather was gorgeously sunny… thus seemingly doubling NYC's population!

image

image

image

I also swung by the MoMA. I not only love the art at the MoMA, but the museum building itself. Its courtyard is a nice place to cool down on a warm day. You can look at the sculptures (and the people!) as a fountain bubbles and a breeze wafts through the trees.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

I love this piece because it incorporates the viewer into the art and the art into the viewers.

image

And this Liechtenstein makes pop-art evocative.

image

During the week I was in the Meatpacking/High Line area again.

image

Had lunch outside at a place called Bubby's.

image

Honestly we just got Bloody Marys because they came in mason jars. I think we would have been much happier with lemonade.

image

We did a spot of rooftop pool exploring at the Gansevoort Hotel.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

We stopped in Chelsea Market with a hankering for dessert.

image

image

image

We came across the Doughnuttery, a little doughnut stand with some unique gourmet flavours.

image

image

image

We plumped for three cinnamon sugar and three lemon poppyseed.

image

Which turned out to be brilliant choices. We enjoyed our plunder whilst the market buzzed along.

image

Before waving goodbye to Chelsea and heading back to uni, happy and full.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment